Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Prophet Remembered

I will always remember President Gordon B. Hinckley and the spirit that I felt when in his presence or while listening to his voice.

Since I have been attending BYU, I have been blessed with 3 opportunities to see President Hinckley speak at BYU devotionals. The last one was last September. The first time will always be the most memorable. The devotionals are held in the Marriott Center, which is a basketball arena that seats about 15,000. I will never forget when President Hinckley walked in. Without a word of announcement, all 15,000 of us silently stood in honor as he took his seat on the stand. At the same time, the Spirit filled the room testifying that despite his small and humble stature, he was in fact the living Prophet of God and the witness of our Savior he bore was true. Although I did not doubt that he was the Prophet before, the witness I received that day is something that I can not deny.

I'm also grateful for the remarkable and wonderful building that was built on the BYU campus in honor of Gordon B. Hinckley. It is right next to the buildings where most of my class are held. The morning after his passing, I went out of my way to walk by his building, so I could be reminded of the legacy of hard work he has left with BYU and its alumni. The school has put together a few videos that highlight the impact he has had on BYU:

Tribute to Pres. Hinckley
Our Journey Together

1 comment:

Cindy Price said...

You were a child full of faith. I'm glad that you could attend BYU and have your testimony strengthen. What a blessing to be in the presence of a true Latter-Day Prophet.